My poor rhododendron, this is after I transplanted it this morning, it was in the front for the past four years and now I placed it in the back, where the old trees used to be prior to being cut down. I don’t mean to imply that it looks like this since I transplanted it, it looked like this before the transplant, it is the reason why I moved it in the first place.
I don’t know what happened, it was fine early on in the spring, but right after the first bloom, it seemed to wilt everywhere and I don’t know why. The only thing I can think of is rodent infestation; after the snows had melted I noticed a hole right off the rhododendron and during the course of the spring, it had gotten bigger and bigger. I was wondering if they were snacking on the rhodie’s root system? It’s the only explanation that I can think of, I have been watering the way I always have in the past, I have never fertilized it before so I don’t see that being an issue. However when I dug the hole in the back, I added orchid food in the water that I dumped in the hole prior to adding the rhodie to its new home.
My hope is that in a few days, the rhodie will bounce back with its new location, the dirt is different, I added organic garden soil along with the orchid food and the back is relatively chipmunk free, thanks to Jack. My fingers will be crossed until it gets better.
If you squint, you can see the purples of the pansies that I planted in between all of the perennials. This was the last of the flat from yesterday and now I am really pooped, but satisfied.